New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_moir
Intrigued Member

New Zealand
144 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  13:00:11  Show Profile  Visit tom_moir's Homepage
I uploaded a short demo of Denise which Guile kindly gave me for evaluation yesterday. She is still in beta stage and looks good! She is pushing my computer to the limits with the resolution I have picked. Not a big problem though as you can have any size you like. The voice is now SAPI 5 which is a great advantage. My speech recognition is improving too - all down to training, which takes patience and a bit of time.
With Microsoft speech recognition that comes with XP you need to train it at least on 3 of the training sessions in the control panel for it to be any good. On limited vocab of course it is far easier and is 100% accurate. For smarthouse applications where you are switching devices the vocab is mostly fixed. It's only when you get into searching the net that you need the accuracy for unlimited vocab. I took the advice of a poster on this forum and used the START web site which means you can ask general questions and get one answer rather than Google where you get tons of info on numerous web sites to sift through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K5fAufKHXc

Regards

Tom

Freddy
Hooked Member

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  14:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Freddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOw, that's really cool Tom! Tell me...is the 'Smart Engine' something you have made yourself ? Also, you mention that speech recognition comes included in XP which I have heard elsewhere. It doesn't seem to be present on my system, so did you download the MS SDK?

Keep up the good work!

www.aidreams.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Dante
Hooked Member

220 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  16:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been moaning about people not using START for ages (t'was me that put the idea forward for it's use)

I am impressed, though, with the usage of START, I can also say I'm loving seeing one idea of mine attain form :D

If I remember correctly, the speech package uses the Good-Turing Algo, needs a bit of tweaking to get it's pronunciation of numbers right :/

All in all, well done!

The hand that rocks the AI cradle, may well rule the world.
Go to Top of Page

tom_moir
Intrigued Member

New Zealand
144 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  21:49:46  Show Profile  Visit tom_moir's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If You have Windows Xp then you can download the SDK from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5e86ec97-40a7-453f-b0ee-6583171b4530&displaylang=en

Go to control panel and then speech. Then you should see some options for training the recognition engine. You can test it on a Word document or whatever first.

The API of Denise + her speech is all down to Guile, the rest is mine though i believe soon he too will have something comparable and hopefully much better, with face tracking included + AI the works.

The AI I am using is the ALICE engine. I believe the intention is to include within AIML files the gestures for Denise. Great idea.

Thanks Dante for the START idea. All you need is a screen scraper to make it work and it can be made to look quite good as you can see.
The only difficu;t I have at present is stopping the speech with speech half way through! In otehr words she goes on and on if you ask a complicated question. (bit like real life eh!)

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Dante
Hooked Member

220 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  16:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A roundabout I use when connecting a more basic bot is to get it to identify the first full-stop and thus, stop there. This can mean, however, the info isnt provided fully. :/

The hand that rocks the AI cradle, may well rule the world.
Go to Top of Page

Freddy
Hooked Member

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  17:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Freddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information Tom

www.aidreams.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

tom_moir
Intrigued Member

New Zealand
144 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  20:55:14  Show Profile  Visit tom_moir's Homepage
Here is the screen scraper here (VB.NET)

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~tjmoir/scrape.html

Its not really my program...copied from various sources and stitched together. I ended up writing a text file to disk and then reading it and looking for duplicate sentences which can occur sometimes in MSHTML. Maybe somebody can improve it. You can run the executable to get an idea of how it works if you are not into programming. Type the question and it speaks the answer from the web. There is no speech recognition in this version since it is just the essence of the idea. There is in my main program of course.

Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Virtual Humans Forum © V.R.Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000