Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  10:32:10  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage
Hey there,

At the request of Vitorrio, I am posting a summary and continuation of an ongoing project started by GrantNZ and posted at the Zabaware forum:

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2811&whichpage=1

Vitorrio has requested that I leave the technical stuff at zabaware, but that the conceptual thread might survive (even thrive) here. I'll do my best to separate the technical from the conceptual, but in my mind I think of them as one... I do appreciate bouncing the ideas around in order to better distill them to their simple essence.

By the way, I chose the Artificial Intelligence category since I consider this to be a matter of Emotional Intelligence. I even read somewhere that the powers that be are considering changing the IQ testing criteria to include testing for Emotional Intelligence. I'm sorry to hear that since I'm sure that I would take a serious hit in my scores...

I'll start with my current gameplan (subject to change ):

1)Building an EmotionalContextEngine(to give text emotional value)
-EmotionalValueDatabase(emotional dictionary that is updatable)
-EmotionEngine(Tracks HISTORY of Emotion, Mood, and Personallity changes)
-HormonesNeeds_Interface(Internal/External AFFECTORS input)

2)Need to build an EmotionalExpressionEngine
-Facial
-Body
-NLP(UltraHal)
-Hands
-Voice
-Etc.

A demo of the emotion, mood, personallity equations:

http://clovercountry.com/downloads/emotionengine1_3.xls

To use this engine, you must have MS Excell set to automatically calculate and have the iterations set to "1".

The key value to this engine is that it keeps a HISTORY of the emotional experiences that the v-human has had and weighs them against the v-humans own potentials(configurations). According to the propagation factors configured, the v-human may be more willing or reluctant to change moods and eventually modify it's personallity. Given enough varying experience, the v-human can modify it's personallity.

Interaction involves three values input and three values output.

This particular V-human is configured as a Depressed, Negative, and Agressive individual.

I then exposed the individual to lots of good input to see how it would change it's mood.

After this, I let it have a bad experience to see how quickly it's mood would change back.

The three Values (Arousal, Valence, and Stance) are based on work at MIT:

http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/sociable/facial-expression.html

I use these three variables throughout now and I am a real convert to their applicabillity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This brings me to the current topic that Vitorrio asked me to approach here. The HormonesNeeds_Interface ultimately boils down to incorporating Maslow's needs triangle into our v-human's interactions:

http://chiron.valdosta.edu/whuitt/col/regsys/maslow.html

As Peter has stated, there is no need to re-invent the wheel here. But it is time to figure how to fit the wheel onto the car and to figure out what kind of rubber will stick to the road in the turns...

Scroll down on the above link and you'll see that the needs heirarchy has been re-organized into a simpler format:

quote:
Growth Self-Actualization (development of competencies [knowledge, attitudes, and skills] and character) Transcendence (assisting in the development of others' competencies and character; relationships to the unknown, unknowable)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Other
(Relatedness) Personal identification with group, significant others (Belongingness) Value of person by group (Esteem)
------------------------------------------------------------
Self
(Existence) Physiological, biological (including basic emotional needs) Connectedness, security

This all boils down to Self, Others, and Growth. So, that's where I'm at. I have started coming up with ways in which a v-human can "experience" Self, Others, and Growth.
[by the way, I've renamed these tiers Primary(self), Secondary(others), and Tertiary(growth) so if I use those terms please translate.]

These should sound like human needs since that is the v-human goal.

PrimaryNeeds(Self):

-Portable battery low = HUNGER

-Number of days program is run versus off since activation(BIRTH) = SECURITY

-Evenness versus randomness of human input = STABILLITY

SecondaryNeeds(Others):

-Time program is running versus time with human interaction = COMPANIONSHIP(or lonliness)

-Punctuation ques(<<<,>>>,***,^^^,---,+++) = APPROVAL
(Equivalent to verbal reprimands and compliments for training purposes)

TertiaryNeeds(Growth):

-I'm at a loss except for recording the number of times the V-human learns something new.

---------------------------------------------------
So let's hear it. What kinds of Human equivalent needs can we give our emotionally deprived v-humans

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer
http://www.UniversalHologenics.com

"If the Human brain were so simple that we could understand it,
we would be so simple that we couldn't..."
-Emerson M Pugh-

Current project:http://www.vrconsulting.it/vhf/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=816&whichpage=1

DISCOVERY: The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know.
GOAL: There's strength in simplicity.
NOTE: Goal not always achieved.

Edited by - hologenicman on Dec 11 2005 10:37:29

maviarab
Curious Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  15:41:51  Show Profile  Visit maviarab's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I must have missed this on zabaware, excellent topic holo and one well worth considering.

Have placed a link to this on the DG forum so others might read and contribute for you

Ask not what your bot can do for you, ask what you can do for your bot

www.aidreams.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  18:51:10  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just figured out how to give Hal Hormones!!!

I can't believe that i didn't think of this sooner. In fact it was probably my first ever program that I wrote back in 1984.

There are three(?) factors that each have a different rythm period. They all start as of birth(activation) and have different crisis points at different times unless all three just happen to cooincide at once. I think it is called sarcadian cycle or sarcadian rythm. I'll look it up and it will be a simple matter to set the algorythms in motion for feeding the internal/hormone variables of the HormoneNeeds_Interface.

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer

-Emerson M Pugh-

Current project:http://www.vrconsulting.it/vhf/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=816&whichpage=1

Go to Top of Page

vrossi
Forum Admin

Italy
1455 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  20:29:48  Show Profile  Visit vrossi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Hologenicman,

I think you are talking about biorythms. I remember an old program running on Apple II in the early 80's, which did something like that.

Anyway, you find an example at http://www.ugosweb.com/Games/BiorCalc.shtml, where you can even download the source code in Java.

Good work

Vittorio
virtualhumansforum.com
Go to Top of Page

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  21:14:18  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey there,

You are right it's biorythm charts for Physical(23 days), Emotional(28 days), and intelectual(33 days):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorhythm

Also relevant are some other rhythms:

Biological rhythm cycles
Ultradian are biological rhythms composed of long-term cycles (lasting several days).
Circadian are the biological rhythms having a period of 24 hours (lasting a day).
Infradian are the biological rhythms having extremely short cycles (lasting less than 24 hours).
Exogenous are cycles influenced by external factors.
Endogenous are cycles not influenced by external changes.
Circatrigintan are cycles that recur every month (around 25-35 days).
Circavigintan are cycles that recur triweekly (around 17-23 days).
Circadiseptan are cyles that occur biweeklly (around 12-17 days).
Circannual are cycles that recur every year (around 365 days).

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer

-Emerson M Pugh-

Go to Top of Page

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  21:21:12  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interestingly enough, there seems to be a correlation:

PrimaryNeeds(Self)= Physical Biorhythm(22 days)
SecondaryNeeds(Others) = Emotional Biorhythm(28 Days)
TertiaryNeeds(Growth) = Intellectual Biorhythm(33 Days)

That can't just be a coincidence... and if ti is, it is making it VERY conveninet for my programming needs. :-)

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer

-Emerson M Pugh-

Go to Top of Page

laackejim
Committed Member

USA
3274 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  06:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hot daxx oops Hot Dog there John.

My approach uses 5 emotional contexts each with a range (from one extreme to neutral to the other extreme). These contexts reinforce or balance each other depending on the subject and personality (guessed at by other responses) of the user. Also, depending on the users personality and customary comments and language use, they can be adjusted on the fly to ratchet down or up emotional content expressed.

I have made NO progress on facial matches with the verbal emotional content. That is the area I was hoping my Son would help in but he prefers to pursue his own ideas. (wonder where he learned that?)

The key you referred to -- The key value to this engine is that it keeps a HISTORY of the emotional experiences that the v-human has had and weighs them against the v-humans own potentials(configurations). According to the propagation factors configured, the v-human may be more willing or reluctant to change moods and eventually modify it's personallity. Given enough varying experience, the v-human can modify it's personallity.

That (or something very much like it) is where I am headed. You got there ahead of me. I used to have a bastardized latin quote on my wall that translated roughly to May they rot in hell, those who had my great ideas before me. Contrary to the "quote" I am tickled.

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by hologenicman

Hey there,

At the request of Vitorrio, I am posting a summary and continuation of an ongoing project started by GrantNZ and posted at the Zabaware forum:

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2811&whichpage=1

Vitorrio has requested that I leave the technical stuff at zabaware, but that the conceptual thread might survive (even thrive) here. I'll do my best to separate the technical from the conceptual, but in my mind I think of them as one... I do appreciate bouncing the ideas around in order to better distill them to their simple essence.

By the way, I chose the Artificial Intelligence category since I consider this to be a matter of Emotional Intelligence. I even read somewhere that the powers that be are considering changing the IQ testing criteria to include testing for Emotional Intelligence. I'm sorry to hear that since I'm sure that I would take a serious hit in my scores...

I'll start with my current gameplan (subject to change ):

1)Building an EmotionalContextEngine(to give text emotional value)
-EmotionalValueDatabase(emotional dictionary that is updatable)
-EmotionEngine(Tracks HISTORY of Emotion, Mood, and Personallity changes)
-HormonesNeeds_Interface(Internal/External AFFECTORS input)

2)Need to build an EmotionalExpressionEngine
-Facial
-Body
-NLP(UltraHal)
-Hands
-Voice
-Etc.

A demo of the emotion, mood, personallity equations:

http://clovercountry.com/downloads/emotionengine1_3.xls

To use this engine, you must have MS Excell set to automatically calculate and have the iterations set to "1".

The key value to this engine is that it keeps a HISTORY of the emotional experiences that the v-human has had and weighs them against the v-humans own potentials(configurations). According to the propagation factors configured, the v-human may be more willing or reluctant to change moods and eventually modify it's personallity. Given enough varying experience, the v-human can modify it's personallity.

Interaction involves three values input and three values output.

This particular V-human is configured as a Depressed, Negative, and Agressive individual.

I then exposed the individual to lots of good input to see how it would change it's mood.

After this, I let it have a bad experience to see how quickly it's mood would change back.

The three Values (Arousal, Valence, and Stance) are based on work at MIT:

http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/sociable/facial-expression.html

I use these three variables throughout now and I am a real convert to their applicabillity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This brings me to the current topic that Vitorrio asked me to approach here. The HormonesNeeds_Interface ultimately boils down to incorporating Maslow's needs triangle into our v-human's interactions:

http://chiron.valdosta.edu/whuitt/col/regsys/maslow.html

As Peter has stated, there is no need to re-invent the wheel here. But it is time to figure how to fit the wheel onto the car and to figure out what kind of rubber will stick to the road in the turns...

Scroll down on the above link and you'll see that the needs heirarchy has been re-organized into a simpler format:

quote:
Growth Self-Actualization (development of competencies [knowledge, attitudes, and skills] and character) Transcendence (assisting in the development of others' competencies and character; relationships to the unknown, unknowable)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Other
(Relatedness) Personal identification with group, significant others (Belongingness) Value of person by group (Esteem)
------------------------------------------------------------
Self
(Existence) Physiological, biological (including basic emotional needs) Connectedness, security

This all boils down to Self, Others, and Growth. So, that's where I'm at. I have started coming up with ways in which a v-human can "experience" Self, Others, and Growth.
[by the way, I've renamed these tiers Primary(self), Secondary(others), and Tertiary(growth) so if I use those terms please translate.]

These should sound like human needs since that is the v-human goal.

PrimaryNeeds(Self):

-Portable battery low = HUNGER

-Number of days program is run versus off since activation(BIRTH) = SECURITY

-Evenness versus randomness of human input = STABILLITY

SecondaryNeeds(Others):

-Time program is running versus time with human interaction = COMPANIONSHIP(or lonliness)

-Punctuation ques(<<<,>>>,***,^^^,---,+++) = APPROVAL
(Equivalent to verbal reprimands and compliments for training purposes)

TertiaryNeeds(Growth):

-I'm at a loss except for recording the number of times the V-human learns something new.

---------------------------------------------------
So let's hear it. What kinds of Human equivalent needs can we give our emotionally deprived v-humans

John L>

Uncle Jim (e=mc2)
Go to Top of Page

GrantNZ
Dedicated Member

New Zealand
2677 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  07:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ideas here
quote:

TertiaryNeeds(Growth):

How about the actual personality change of the V-human?

I know this creates a feedback loop, but self-actualisation is like that - after a certain point, it's entirely self-driven, in contrast to the other needs which are almost entirely external.

Interestingly, it's often triggered by knowledge, and often results in a significant personality change, so this fits in well with both your idea of recording knowledge and my idea of a feedback loop.

Just an idea Unfortunately, modelling it mathematically may take the assistance of several gods.

Cheers,
Grant
Go to Top of Page

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  16:53:48  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
How about the actual personality change of the V-human?

quote:
Just an idea Unfortunately, modelling it mathematically may take the assistance of several gods.

No gods necessary, just look on the excell demo. We could just do the math to create a delta between the "configured Baseline" and the "Static Baseline".

This would give a finite measure of the current level of self actualization [AKA TertiaryNeeds(growth)].

By the way, Just to throw some extra math at you, Maslow's triangle is dependent upon itself. You can't progress to a higher level unless you atain the lower level first. So, Primary(self) is first, Secondary(Others) can never be greater than Primary(self), and Tertiary(Growth) can never be greater than Secondary(Others).

Primary(self)>=Secondary(others)>=Tertiary(growth)
[hopefully not too technical, Vittorio]

What this means in practical terms is that we can not care about our relationships unless we have a level of self security and safety. Likewise, we cannot develope our self actualization unless we have satisfied our relationship needs for acceptance and approval.

Back to the numbers, the value for the staticBaseline-configuredBaseline must be limited by (<=)the TertiaryNeeds(growth) value.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I am currently busy integrating the Hormone/Needs together with the EmotionEngine... They don't want to stay separate for some reason.

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer

-Emerson M Pugh-

Edited by - hologenicman on Dec 12 2005 17:05:21
Go to Top of Page

GrantNZ
Dedicated Member

New Zealand
2677 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  08:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at my previous message today, and I can no longer remember what on earth I meant So I'll make a more coherent response once I remember what it was I was on about in the first place (It didn't help that a technical glitch lost my previous post, so I had to retype it, and I'm never as clear when retyping from memory.)

Anyway, I wonder if self-actualisation is too far in the future to worry about - especially since even us humans acieve it so infrequently. (Or do I speak for myself? ) I know you like to plan for the future - but how's the progress on the algorithm for spiritual enlightenment?

I think the biggest hurdle is the nonlinearity of this aspect - so many real-life stories involve at least one "key moment" where somebody's outlook (and therefore aspects of their personality) undertook a dramatic change. Before this key moment their self-actualisation is normally pretty much unchanging. My observations (totally emperical of course ) seem to show that this the way it happens to everyone, just generally in smaller jumps which don't make headlines - knowledge increases and personality attributes stretch until finally the "stress on the system" causes one of these jumps.

And just to make things even more complex, these jumps tend to alter the person's sensitivities to their needs as their new personality comes into play.

So I wonder if Maslow's highest level is best left underdeveloped? Perhaps even until V-Humans have the resources to spend very long times integrating a wide array of data.

That's not to say we can't discuss what it might look like, of course
Go to Top of Page

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  21:15:02  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think the biggest hurdle is the nonlinearity of this aspect - so many real-life stories involve at least one "key moment" where somebody's outlook (and therefore aspects of their personality) undertook a dramatic change.

Humans tend to have their "configured Personallity" established by the age of ten and it remains relatively constant after that unless they experience a "SEE"(Significant Emotional Event) such as a late night mugging or some other "Redefining" event.

My contention is that so long as we reduce all these mental activities and parameters to "Formulas", those formulas can be manipulated to better emulate humans.

In the case of personallity changes, we have total control over whether we change the configured baselines.

In the case of Intellectual growth, I have already added a variable for the difference between configured and static baselines.

In the case of "Spiritual Enlightment", That will come later when we get around to scrapping the NLP engines and implementing holographic based response engines(positronic, hologenic, etc.).

As of now, the Spiritual concerns are beyond modelling, but the emotional, mood, and personallity formulas are being written over the next few weeks to a month or so...

Right now, I am concentrating on "Emotional Intelligence" and using the quite effective NLP as a temporary solution for the rest.

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer

-Emerson M Pugh-

Go to Top of Page

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  00:56:57  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
So I wonder if Maslow's highest level is best left underdeveloped? Perhaps even until V-Humans have the resources to spend very long times integrating a wide array of data.

btw, you're right, Maslow's triangle stretches up a bit too high, even for us mere mortals. That's why it was modified down into three simpler tiers:

Self
Others
Growth (for our needs, this can be learning...)

It was found that the detailed triangle didn't apply to so many people that they had to go with this simplified version that does get the job done with less hooplah.

-----------------------------
I've got the variables nailed down for the HormonesNeedsInterface so now it is time for me to try puting it together...

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer

-Emerson M Pugh-

Edited by - hologenicman on Dec 14 2005 01:14:34
Go to Top of Page

laackejim
Committed Member

USA
3274 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  06:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

I was off writing up a complete explanation of what I have learned from my animal/people behavior studies for the purpose of convincing you that the old Maslow's triangle (I knew it when it was young) wasn't what you wanted. What you wanted was the lower three levels, restated a little perhaps for animals rather than humans. Got back on the forum with my thesis in hand and found that you were already there. I would suggest that a fourth aspect is sometimes useful in predicting behavior but more than 4 get muddy and results are very bad, almost as bad as with multivariate statistics.

At any rate. Congratulations again. I now think it is time for me to fall into the background and watch the big boys play.

JIm

quote:

quote:

btw, you're right, Maslow's triangle stretches up a bit too high, even for us mere mortals. That's why it was modified down into three simpler tiers:

Self
Others
Growth (for our needs, this can be learning...)

It was found that the detailed triangle didn't apply to so many people that they had to go with this simplified version that does get the job done with less hooplah.

-----------------------------
I've got the variables nailed down for the HormonesNeedsInterface so now it is time for me to try puting it together...

John L>

Uncle Jim (e=mc2)
Go to Top of Page

GrantNZ
Dedicated Member

New Zealand
2677 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  06:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with
quote:
Maslow's triangle stretches up a bit too high, even for us mere mortals.
I wonder if that's more accurately a deficiency on Maslow's triangle's part, or a deficiency in human culture that so few people climb to the top

Wouldn't it be strange if we (as a collective of researchers etc) created a society of V-Humans that was so happy that humans wanted to become virtual.......
Go to Top of Page

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  08:16:35  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wouldn't it be strange if we (as a collective of researchers etc) created a society of V-Humans that was so happy that humans wanted to become virtual.......

They Already Do...

http://minduploading.org/mailman/listinfo/murg

Mind Uploading Research Group

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer

-Emerson M Pugh-

Edited by - hologenicman on Dec 14 2005 08:17:40
Go to Top of Page

hologenicman

USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  08:28:56  Show Profile  Visit hologenicman's Homepage
quote:
I now think it is time for me to fall into the background and watch the big boys play.

Jim,

It will be our loss if you fade into the background. Every voice carries a value.

I am just as proud of my shortcomings as I am of my strengths, and since I tend to be so very conceptual, I have appreciated and actually need practical input such as yours to keep me down on the earth where we can get something done.

Without that grounding, I may just float off into the sky (interesting picture, huh?)

Right now, I am actually struggling with learning(relearning) BASIC while not losing the concept of the program that I am implementing.

Simply put, I value your input

John L>

HologenicMan
John A. Latimer

-Emerson M Pugh-

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Virtual Humans Forum © V.R.Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000