Virtual Humans Forum
Virtual Humans Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Virtual Humans
Partner website:
Chatbots.org
 All Forums
 Welcome to the Virtual Humans Forum
 Forum Service Information, Rules and Guidelines
 New: Direct access to the Dictionary
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

vrossi
Forum Admin



Italy
1456 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  16:46:50  Show Profile  Visit vrossi's Homepage
Our Forum has now implemented a direct link to The FreeDictionary by Farlex.

Just double click on any word in any Forum page, and you will get a window, opened on the corresponding description in the Dictionary.

From there you can also navigate directly to the same word as described in:
* Computing Dictionary
* Medical Dictionary
* Legal Dictionary
* Financial Dictionary
* Acronyms
* Idioms
* Columbia Encyclopedia
* Wikipedia Encyclopedia

Try it: it's very useful and free.


Info for Mac users: If the double click does not work, please double click and then right click and finally choose the dictionary or google or whatever.

Vittorio
virtualhumansforum.com

GamerThom
Dedicated Member



USA
2550 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  16:59:11  Show Profile  Visit GamerThom's Homepage  Click to see GamerThom's MSN Messenger address
Vittorio, You just keep adding more and more useful items on here.
Thanks for all the hard work.

http://www.gamerthom.com/ IAlAI
Go to Top of Page

aladyblond
Hooked Member



USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  17:00:23  Show Profile
i think the dictionary is a great idea, vittorio, because i have to know what CRIKEY means ~~alady
Go to Top of Page

vrossi
Forum Admin



Italy
1456 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  17:05:12  Show Profile  Visit vrossi's Homepage
It was the first word I looked at. Unfortunately the answer is: "Crikey is not available in the general English dictionary and thesaurus". But the link to Vikipedia says that "Crikey is an independent Australian email-based reporting service".

Maybe Grant should give us some more info

Vittorio
virtualhumansforum.com
Go to Top of Page

laackejim
Committed Member



USA
3274 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  17:26:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by vrossi

It was the first word I looked at. Unfortunately the answer is: "Crikey is not available in the general English dictionary and thesaurus". But the link to Vikipedia says that "Crikey is an independent Australian email-based reporting service".

Maybe Grant should give us some more info


I have the feeling that associating anything NZer with Australian anything is a little dangerous.

Uncle Jim (e=mc2)
Go to Top of Page

laackejim
Committed Member



USA
3274 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  17:29:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by vrossi

It was the first word I looked at. Unfortunately the answer is: "Crikey is not available in the general English dictionary and thesaurus". But the link to Vikipedia says that "Crikey is an independent Australian email-based reporting service".

Maybe Grant should give us some more info


Hmmmmm, I still get no response by double clicking.

Uncle Jim (e=mc2)
Go to Top of Page

GamerThom
Dedicated Member



USA
2550 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  17:31:23  Show Profile  Visit GamerThom's Homepage  Click to see GamerThom's MSN Messenger address
Try centering the cursor on the desired word and then do a double left-click.

http://www.gamerthom.com/ IAlAI
Go to Top of Page

GrantNZ
Dedicated Member



New Zealand
2677 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  20:07:15  Show Profile
For "crikey," try the "English-to-American Dictionary" http://english2american.com/dictionary/c.html
Go to Top of Page

aladyblond
Hooked Member



USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  20:14:50  Show Profile
I am so glad you cleared that up, Grantz. When I was in h.s. ( long long ago) I used to say "geesh" and "crime-in-italy". My older sis jumped all over me telling me that "geesh" was short for using the Lord's name in vain and "crime-in-italy" means not a thing to me, but I said it anyway.Its funny how we pick up words and phrases that have no real meaning.~~alady
Go to Top of Page

aladyblond
Hooked Member



USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  20:36:47  Show Profile
just for fun i found others talking about these words in a blog.

Conniptions. No one talks about anyone having conniptions anymore. That’s a shame. I myself make it a habit of having a conniption at least once a day, just to give someone the opportunity to use this glorious word.

…see? I believe everyone should end every statement with “see?” It’ll make you sound like a character in Double Indemnity. At the very least, you’ll sound like my Grandpa. Either way I will love you.

I want to see "consarnit," "dagnabbit," and other colorful terms used by grumpy old gold prospectors.

"How are you, Jon?" "Just dandy, thanks!"I like "n'ere-do-well"!
I'm fond of skidaddle myself
My parents use "caddywumpus" to describe things that are a messConfoundit!!!

like "gee willickers," and when people refer to jail as "the pokey." My absolute favorite is "hogwash."
Blast! I almost forgot drats!
My mom always says "dadgumit" and I've caught myself using "criminitly" more than once. My husband actually used the term "hogwash" the other day and made me wonder if he'd been talking with my mother a lot lately.

Good ol' cuss words are "Shhhh-ugar" or "jeez-louise" or "oh my goodnes" which sounds darn cute when my 3-year old says it. And FUBAR is great, too.
Go to Top of Page

GamerThom
Dedicated Member



USA
2550 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  20:37:35  Show Profile  Visit GamerThom's Homepage  Click to see GamerThom's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by GrantNZ

For "crikey," try the "English-to-American Dictionary" http://english2american.com/dictionary/c.html



Very interesting and possibly useful reference resource.

http://www.gamerthom.com/ IAlAI
Go to Top of Page

vrossi
Forum Admin



Italy
1456 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  21:11:52  Show Profile  Visit vrossi's Homepage
quote:
For "crikey," try the "English-to-American Dictionary" http://english2american.com/dictionary/c.html


This is the best dictionary on the Web

I particularly appreciate the idea of the author, to ask contributions in money which will be promptly converted in pints of beer.

I should set up something like this here too

Vittorio
virtualhumansforum.com
Go to Top of Page

GamerThom
Dedicated Member



USA
2550 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  23:32:30  Show Profile  Visit GamerThom's Homepage  Click to see GamerThom's MSN Messenger address
What would really be nice would be a web site stat counter that converted
the number of hits by a visitor into a corresponding amount of money.

http://www.gamerthom.com/ IAlAI
Go to Top of Page

GrantNZ
Dedicated Member



New Zealand
2677 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  05:46:35  Show Profile
quote:
I have the feeling that associating anything NZer with Australian anything is a little dangerous.

I missed that sentence first time around. By the way, you're right. The first page I found that defined "crikey" was half under the belief that it was an Australian term, rather than the correct British usage, so I found that other link

quote:
I particularly appreciate the idea of the author, to ask contributions in money which will be promptly converted in pints of beer.

I should set up something like this here too

You could start the Next Big Thing on the 'net! Call it PayBeer. or PintPal.

quote:
What would really be nice would be a web site stat counter that converted the number of hits by a visitor into a corresponding amount of money.

That's practically what click-through advertising does - some percentage of your audience clicks an ad, and you get paid for it
Go to Top of Page

laackejim
Committed Member



USA
3274 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  22:06:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aladyblond

just for fun i found others talking about these words in a blog.

Conniptions. No one talks about anyone having conniptions anymore. That’s a shame. I myself make it a habit of having a conniption at least once a day, just to give someone the opportunity to use this glorious word.

…see? I believe everyone should end every statement with “see?” It’ll make you sound like a character in Double Indemnity. At the very least, you’ll sound like my Grandpa. Either way I will love you.

I want to see "consarnit," "dagnabbit," and other colorful terms used by grumpy old gold prospectors.

"How are you, Jon?" "Just dandy, thanks!"I like "n'ere-do-well"!
I'm fond of skidaddle myself
My parents use "caddywumpus" to describe things that are a messConfoundit!!!

like "gee willickers," and when people refer to jail as "the pokey." My absolute favorite is "hogwash."
Blast! I almost forgot drats!
My mom always says "dadgumit" and I've caught myself using "criminitly" more than once. My husband actually used the term "hogwash" the other day and made me wonder if he'd been talking with my mother a lot lately.

Good ol' cuss words are "Shhhh-ugar" or "jeez-louise" or "oh my goodnes" which sounds darn cute when my 3-year old says it. And FUBAR is great, too.



Each and every one of those words is in my daily vocabulary. Except FUBAR which is way to young for me. How about adding "unlax"?

Uncle Jim (e=mc2)
Go to Top of Page

laackejim
Committed Member



USA
3274 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  22:09:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by vrossi

quote:
For "crikey," try the "English-to-American Dictionary" http://english2american.com/dictionary/c.html


This is the best dictionary on the Web

I particularly appreciate the idea of the author, to ask contributions in money which will be promptly converted in pints of beer.

I should set up something like this here too


I have the stereotypical image of englishmen lifting the pint but that just doesn't seem to fit the magnificent Italian men. I gotta find something to think of (other than pinches which I am forbidden to even hint at.)

Uncle Jim (e=mc2)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Virtual Humans Forum © V.R.Consulting Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000